Home >> Articles >> Recipes
Cheese and Herb Pan Bread
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small red onion, finely diced
290g (2 cups) all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
200g (2 cups) grated sharp cheese - any combination such as aged cheddar and gruyere
40g (1/2 cup) grated parmesan
2 Tbsp parsley finely chopped
2 Tbsp fresh chives finely chopped
2 eggs, separated
240g (1 cup) buttermilk
80g (1/3 cup) whole milk
180g (3/4 cup) melted butter
Can also be made in a wood fired oven.
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 and spray pan with oil (9" cast iron, spring form or square pan).
2. In a pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and saute the red onion until softened and translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, mustard powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix in the cheeses, parsley and chives.
4. In a separate bowl, using a whisk or mixer, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
5. In another bowl, combine the egg yolks, buttermilk, milk, cooled melted butter and sauteed onion. Add the dry ingredients and mix until the just combined.
Gently fold in the egg whites. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
6. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 15 minutes then flip onto a cutting board. Slice and serve warm.