Nobody likes the bringer of bad news. - Sophocles, Antigone

03.02.23 1010 [PST]

   EAC & MP3s
   Life of Myden

Best MP3 Guide


Good Movies




Home >> Articles >> Recipes

No-knead Bread (Jim Lahey adaptation)

Adapted from Jim Lahey at the Sullivan Street Bakery in Manhattan

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, plus more for dusting
1/4 tsp instant yeast (sometimes I use about 1/3 teaspoon regular active dry yeast) or 3.3g fresh yeast
1 tsp salt
1. In a large bowl stir together the flour, yeast and salt.

Add 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky.

Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a plate and let it rest on the countertop for 18-24 hours at room temperature.

2. The dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles.

Flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice, then roughly shape into a ball.

Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour.

Fold it over the bread or cover with another cotton towel and let it sit for another hour or two until doubled in size.

If you gently poke it with your finger, making an indentation about 1/4 inch deep, it should hold the impression.

If it doesn't, let it rise for another 15 minutes.

3. While the bread is resting, preheat the oven to 450į. Put a 6-8 quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats.

The dough is ready when you make a 1/2 inch indent with your finger and it holds the impression.

If it doesn't, let it rise for another 15 minutes.

When the dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven.

Slide your hand under towel and flip the dough over into the pot; it may look like a mess, but thatís OK.

Cover and bake for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and bake another 10-20 minutes, until itís golden/dark chestnut in colour.

4. Use a heatproof spatula or pot holders to carefully lift the bread out of the pot and place it on a rack to cool thoroughly.

Don't slice or tear into it until it has cooled, which usually takes at least an hour. Eat up!