Home >> Articles >> Recipes
Golden Cheddar Cheese Soup
* 1 cup chopped onions
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 2 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
* 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
* 1 medium yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
* pinch of turmeric
* 2 cups vegetable stock or water
* 1 cup buttermilk or milk
* 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
* salt to taste
* optional: minced fresh scallions, chives, or parsley
1. Saute the onions in the oil for about 5 minutes or until the onions begin to soften. Stir in the potatoes, carrots, squash, black pepper, and turmeric.
2. Add the stock or water and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. Stir in the buttermilk or milk and the cheese.
3. Puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Gently reheat. Add salt to taste, and serve topped with minced scallions, chives, or parsley.