Home >> Articles >> Recipes
Banana Bread Granola
Recipe: Chunky Banana Bread Granola
(Adapted slightly from My New Roots by Sarah Britton)
1/3 cup coconut oil
3 very ripe bananas
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
3 cups gluten-free rolled oats
1 cup buckwheat groats
1-1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
Raw cacao nibs for sprinkling (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat and pour into a food processor or blender with the bananas and maple syrup. Blend.
3. In a large bowl, combine the oats, buckwheat, coconut, sunflower seeds, walnuts, cinnamon, and salt. Pour the liquid mixture over the dry mixture and fold to coat.
4. Spread the mixture out on the baking sheet and press firmly with the back of a spatula. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the granola begins to brown.
5. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and use a spatula to flip the granola in large sections.
Return to oven and flip every 3 to 4 minutes, making smaller chunks each time for another 15 minutes (total 30 minutes of baking time), until dry and crispy.
6. Set the baking sheet on top of a cooling rack and cool completely. Break into chunks and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a month.