Home >> Articles >> Recipes
Thai Dragon Bowl
8 cups Asian or Vegetable stock
3 lemongrass stalks, trimmed and minced
3 Tbsp minced ginger or galangal
3 garlic cloves, minced
1.5 tsp red curry paste (modified)
1 oz palm sugar
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup fish sauce
1 cup coconut milk (optional)
juice of 1 lime
1/3lb (150g) rice noodles, medium width
1/2 block extra firm tofu, cut in small cubes
4 kaffir lime leaves, stems removed and finely shredded
6 oz snow peas, trimmed
1 bunch scallions, minced
4 tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup minced cilantro
1/2 cup Thai basil leaves, torn sambal oelek
1. Heat the stock to a simmer and add the lemongrass, ginger and garlic; simmer 15 minutes. Strain the stock through a sieve to remove the solids and return the liquid to the pot.
2. Stir curry paste, sugar, soy, and fish sauces into the broth and simmer 5 minutes. Add coconut milk and lime juice. Taste and correct seasoning.
3. While the broth is simmering, add the rice noodles, tofu and kaffir lime leaves. Cook until the noodles are tender, about
5 minutes. Halfway through this time, add the snow peas.
When the noodles are cooked, add all of the remaining ingredients. Serve immediately in large bowls with lime wedges, sambal oelek,
fish and soy sauce on the side.
4. Serve immediately in large bowls with lime wedges, extra tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, and bean sprouts.
Dragon Bowl additions:
- replace Thail basil with fresh mint
- add chopped bok choy or baby bok choy leaves
- top with a stack of bean sprouts
- replace red with home-made green curry paste
- sprinkle with finely sliced Thai bird chile rounds
- add sliced oyster or shiitake mushrooms
- garnish with fried shallots, garlic or lotus root rounds
- add whole prawns or scallops