Home >> Articles >> Recipes
Carrot Lemongrass Soup
8 cups Asian Vegetable Stock or Vegetable Stock
6 lime leaves (fresh or frozen)
2 TBSP vegetable oil
1 yellow onion diced
1 TBSP coarse salt
3 lemongrass stalks
5 cloves garlic
1 TBSP Thai red curry paste
1 TBSP coriander seeds, ground
2 lbs carrots, roughly chopped
1 can coconut milk
2 tsp sambal oelek
1 tsp minced lemon zest
Juice 1 lemon
Chopped cilantro leaves
Plain yogourt (if desired)
1. Heat the stock while you prepare the soup ingredients. Add the lime leaves & keep warm.
2. Prepare the lemongrass by cutting the stalk 4” from the root end. Get rid of the top and peel the outer layer from the bottom piece. Using a broad bladed knife, smash the lemongrass. Mince & set aside.
3. Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onion & 1 tsp salt. Cook onions until translucent.
4. Add minced garlic, ginger, lemongrass, curry paste & coriander; sauté & stir for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in the chopped carrots & remaining salt (2 tsps). Sauté for several minutes, then pour in hot stock.
6. Bring to a boil & simmer until the carrots are soft (about 15 min).
7. Remove lime leaves & puree with hand blender/food processor until smooth. Whisk in coconut milk, sambal oelek & simmer gently
for 15 minutes.
8. Just before serving, add lemon zest, juice & season to taste with salt or more sambal.
9. Garnish each bowl with freshly chopped cilantro leaves & a spoonful of yogurt if you want.