Home >> Articles >> Recipes
Macaroni and Cheese
The great thing about this tasty recipe is how easy it is and how few dishes it uses. It's even great for camping.
* 3.5 cups of water (plus extra as needed)
* 12 oz can of evaported milk
* 12 oz of elbow macaroni (about 3 cups)
* 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
* 0.5 teaspoon of dry mustard
* 0.25 teaspoon of hot sauce
* 6 ounces of cheddar cheese (1.5 cups shredded)
* 6 ounces of monterey jack cheese (1.5 cups shredded)
* 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
* ground black pepper
1. Bring 3.5 cups water, 1 cup of the evaporated milk, the macaroni, and 0.5 teaspoon salt to a simmer in a 12-inch non-stick
skillet over high heat.
Cook at a vigorous simmer, stirring often until the macaroni is tender, and the liquid has thickened. 9 to 12 minutes.
2. Whisk the remaining 0.5 cup of evaporated milk, the cornstarch, mustard, and hot sauce together in a small bowl, then
stir into the skillet. Continue to simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
3. Off the heat, stir in the chedder and Monterey jack, one handful at a time, adding water as needed to adjust the consistency
of the sauce. Stir in the butter, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.